Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Army Life

So, as most of you know by now, I am now an Army Wife :) So I thought I would give you a little peek into what this looks like.

So far this means:

1. Moving to Columbus, Georgia. We moved here, August 29th. We got to use movers (as a side note do NOT use Moving Central. They. Suck. Overcharge, late, scam, pretty much sums it up). This is my first time living in the South. First time living far away from family. Also, Andrew and I's first move together, and our first Duty Station/ PCS (Permanent Change of Station). All very exciting and new and scary :)

2. Andrew now wears ACUs. (Army Combat Uniforms). This means white t-shirts and white socks are almost a thing of the past, and Tan shirts, green socks, and ACUs (which have a RIDICULOUS amount of Velcro that gets caught on everything, haha) are the norm. BUT an amazing part of laundry now days is we now have our own washer and dryer!!! We have been STOKED about this. Another blessing of moving and army life :)

3. Ft. Benning! Now, I have not explored too much, other than the Commisary (grocery store), PX, (wal-mart/mall) and Andrew's office. Mostly, because Ft. Benning is HUGE and as most of you well know, I have a HORRIBLE sense of direction. And GPS satellites don't like army posts haha. My friend and I learned that the hard way. But I am excited to get to know Ft. Benning more and use all of the many services and fun things to do on post.

4. Holidays with family visiting US, rather than driving out to the suburbs to see everyone. Sad to be away from everyone, but SO looking forward to having My mom for Thanksgiving and Andrew's mom, step-dad and sister for Christmas. I am super excited!! Learning to cook Thanksgiving dinner for the first time and Christmas dinner too! I'll definitely miss Chicago-land, and everyone we can't see, but am super blessed and excited to have visitors :)

5. Meeting other Army Wives. I have to say, these women are AMAZING. They have gone through so much, and are so strong. There have been a few ways I've met these women.One is Facebook, sounds funny, but I have a good friend now through an Army Facebook page. Part of Andrew's job is to help run marriage retreats, and this has been a great way to get to know people as well. Also, we met a really sweet couple at church that we have gotten together with a couple of times so far. It's definitely challenging at times to relearn how to put myself out there and meet friends, but it is fun and exciting too :)

Well there is more, I'm sure, so just let me know if there is anything you all are curious about.

So right now, life is nannying (part-time) for 2 twin 21 month olds and one 3.5 year old. Getting settled. Taking care of our puppy. And just living the life of a new Army Wife. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment